Why is safety assessment important?
Safety assessments are very important as they form an integral part of an occupational health and safety management plan.
They help to :
● Create awareness of hazards and risk.
● Identify who may be at risk
● Determine whether a control program is required for a particular hazard.
● Determine if existing control measures are adequate or if more should be done.
● Prevent injuries or illnesses, especially when done at the design or planning stage.
● Prioritize hazards and control measures.
● Meet legal requirements where applicable.
The main aim is to make sure that no one gets hurt or becomes ill. Accidents and ill health can ruin lives, and can also affect business if output is lost, machinery is damaged, insurance costs increase, or if you have to go to court. Therefore, carrying out Safety Assessments, preparing and implementing.